To conclude cinnamon week, I made these beauties for our lazy Sunday afternoon. Filled with a velvety smooth vegan custard, these mini doughnuts are an easy-to-make addition to the treat repertoire.
Ingredients – Doughnuts
- 300g plain flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 55g margarine
- 140ml hazelnut milk
- 1.5 litres sunflower oil
Ingredients – Custard filling
- 15g margarine
- 20g plain flour
- 45g D8 Made Cinnamon date butter
- 70g hazelnut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar for dusting
- 2 tsp cinnamon for dusting
- Mix the margarine, hazelnut milk and 2 tablespoons of the sunflower oil in a small pan over a medium heat.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add the salt and sugar into a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and add the milk mixture to the centre.
- Little by little, bring the mix together with a fork until it forms a sticky dough and divide into 20 – 24 equal sized balls.
- Bring the rest of the sunflower oil to heat and use a small piece of bread to test the heat – if it sizzles the oil is hot enough.
- Carefully lower each dough ball into the oil and cook for 5 min or until golden brown, cooking 5 – 6 doughnuts at a time.
- Use a 4″ skimmer spoon to remove each doughnut and place in a bowl layered with paper towels to drain the oil and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the custard, melt the margarine in a small pan.
- Once melted, remove from the heat, add the flour and mix well.
- Still off the heat, add 75% the hazelnut milk bit by bit ensuring that the mixture is smooth.
- Return to the heat, add the cinnamon date butter and mix to form a smooth mixture.
- Add the remainder of the milk then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the custard to a piping bag.
- Mix the coconut sugar and cinnamon on a flat plate.
- Once cooled, roll each doughnut in the coconut sugar & cinnamon mix and prepare to fill.
- To fill the doughnuts, make a hole in the centre of the doughnut using a skewer and turn it gently 360 degrees to create a cavity.
- Using the piping bag, fill each doughnut until a portion of the custard settles on the hole of each doughnut.
- Finally, do your best not to eat all of them in one sitting.